Basic Principle Regarding Protection of Personal Information
Preamble for the Personal Information Protection Policy (English Version)
The legal system for protecting personal information, stemming from the Eight Principles of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) adopted in 1980, has thus far been introduced into almost all advanced countries of the world.
In Japan, the Personal Information Protection Law was enacted in May 2003, and was put into full effect in April 2005. This law obliges all enterprises to formulate principles for protecting personal information and to disclose what kinds of personal information they keep, thereby clarifying their responsibilities for protecting such information. The rights stipulated by the law are also to be provided and guaranteed for all foreigners in this country.
In response to the enactment of the law, our company has adopted the Basic Principle Regarding Protection of Personal Information (Privacy Statement) and Basic Principle Regarding Protection of Personal Information in the Field of Reporting/Writing and announced them publicly. Our company intends to abide by these basic principles and proceed with the improvement of internal systems and practices necessary for their observance in the future.
Basic Principle Regarding Protection of Personal Information (Privacy Statement)
Fuji Television Network, Inc. is strongly conscious that protection of personal information is an important obligation in a society in which information and telecommunication technology has developed substantially, and use of personal information is expanding.
In accordance with the objectives of the Personal Information Protection Law, we at Fuji Television have established the following basic principle for the handling of personal information, and we shall make all possible efforts to ensure that viewers’ trust will not be betrayed.
Furthermore, in the handling of personal information for reporting and writing, we shall also strive for appropriate protection of personal information by establishing respsective rules in view of the social mission of broadcasting, with consideration for the scope of exemptions from application of the Law.
Under its corporate philosophy of serving social prosperity through broadcasting, evoking people’s emotions, and contributing to cultural improvement, Fuji Television hereby pledges to do its best to protect personal information.
Specification of Utilization Purposes
1. In obtaining personal information, we will clarify the purpose(s) of using such information.
2. Personal information will be obtained through rightful means and only within the range of necessity.
Ensuring Accuracy of Content
3. We will strive to keep the content of obtained personal information accurate and current.
Safety Control Measures
4. We will retain personal information under strict control by constructing a perfect protection arrangement to prevent the loss, falsification, or unauthorized disclosure of such information.
Supervision and Training of Employees and Consignees
5. We will establish methods for proper handling of personal information that can be shown to all persons related to the business of Fuji TV. We will also provide necessary training if required.
Non-disclosure to Third Parties
6. In principle, we will not provide personal information to any third party without obtaining the consent of the person concerned.
Handling Requests for Disclosure and Complaints
7. We will sincerely respond to requests and complaints from individuals concerning personal information matters.
Notification of unauthorized disclosure
8. If we discover that personal information has been disclosed without authorization through a leak, illegal access to the system, or any other means, we will immediately notify the concerned individuals and take prompt corrective action.
Fuji Television Network, Inc.
The English page on procedures for disclosure of information requests regarding personal data from viewers is under construction. We ask for your patience.